Welcome to So Wedding Unique, a blog written by a bride-to-be for brides-to-be. I have decided to share my own experiences of designing and planning a wedding with the hope of inspiring and entertaining, providing ideas and advice for others to create their own unique wedding. Come and have a look around!

Sunday 1 May 2011

The Dress... Ssshhh, its a secret.

Right. The ceremony and the venue are booked, and there are a fair few months to go until the big day. Time to sit back and just enjoy being engaged for a while. There's no rush to get things done yet, is there? Er, yes! Time is often not on a bride's side when it comes to the wedding dress.

The dress is perhaps one of the most important aspects of bride's day. Being the focus of attention for a whole day tends to put the pressure on just a tad when it comes to choosing the right dress. My other half and I became engaged just weeks prior to our new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, so throughout my search for the perfect wedding dress, my thoughts strayed frequently to the then Miss Middleton who must have been feeling the pressure somewhat. Did she get it right? That question will probably generate many answers. However, in my opinion, she chose a dress, designed by Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen, which epitomized elegance and reflected Kate's style which we have all come to know and love. The train was unstated but of a perfect length, the beautiful lace applique bodice, and lace motifs completed the dress which will continue to make headlines for weeks to come. It could not have been more perfect.

  

Obviously I am not going to give anything away about my dress just in case my husband-to-be happens to read this! However, it did take me sometime to make sure I had 'the dress'. The people you take with you on this very important day should give you an objective opinion. You don't want lots of 'oohs and aahh's' when actually what you're thinking is, 'Oh my god I look like a giant meringue, get me out of this thing now!' I was lucky. My mother and maid of honour told me everything I needed to know just with their expressions, particularly when the assistant insisted on putting me in a dress which looked like it had been spending time with a vagasil technician. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, watch an episode of 'The only Way is Essex'. You'll soon get the idea. As you might have guessed, bling is not my thing.

Despite not often agreeing with the dresses the assistants suggested I try, I realised how important it is to keep an open mind and remember that a dress on the hanger will look totally different when you try it on. I began the day with a very clear idea of what I wanted, having pored over many wedding magazines and cutting out many pictures of dresses which all had a very similar shape. So I tried on a dress with the cut I had described in great detail with many gesticulations. Once I had been strapped, zipped and pinned into it, I made my entrance to where my mother and maid of honour were patiently waiting. The first response was, 'it's nice but...,' and the sentence was never finished. The dress clung to every lump and bump that you hope to disguise on your wedding day. I don't even think that sucking-in pants would have done it and I have a perfectly normal figure with curves in more or less the right places. Let's be honest, 'sucking-in' pants are not something you want to wear on your wedding day - they don't exactly scream elegance, do they?! So I tried on a dress with a shape that would have, at the start of the day, probably given me a not so pleasant physical reaction. I was instantly silenced. The shape was perfect. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't the dress, but it told me what I now had to look for. Even then I didn't rush out and get the next dress I tried on that I liked. It's so important to shop around. You'll know when you find the perfect one, you won't be able to stop smiling, and you will probably utter the word, 'princess' more than once!

One thing to bear in mind when shopping for the perfect dress is that bridal shops often only hold one dress of each design. The dress you choose will then be made to your measurements. Depending on the dress and the designer, this could take anything up to six months. Then you have to allow for adjustments. My dress still isn't ready yet, and it was ordered at the beginning of December. But I have my shoes all ready to go, so as soon as the phone rings, I can go and try on my beautiful dress and once again, feel like a princess. A tad corny? Probably. But you'll know what I mean soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. How exciting. Never watched The Only Way is Wessex but that did make me lol!

    ReplyDelete